Home :: Department ::
Department of Biotechnology
The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2002 with an undergraduate Engineering program in Biotechnology. In the year 2010, Masters Course in Biotechnology was introduced to cater higher education requirements of students. Since its inception, the Department has continuously grown and taken initiatives to impart quality education and inculcate research aptitude in Biotechnology students. The department is actively engaged in research activities in various areas of Biotechnology and related fields. Major research focus areas are herbal cosmetics and medicine, cancer biology. The department is also an authorized research centre for PhD program through AKTU, Lucknow.
Our expert faculties in various disciplines also provide research consultancy in Environmental Biotechnology with a view to develop practical solutions to environmental problems faced by industries and the municipalities. Besides this, other areas such as animal biotechnology, plant biotechnology, microbiology, biochemistry, immunology etc are also covered for consultancy and technical support.
Major Departmental Highlights include-
• Highly qualified faculties with PhD from renowned Universities
• 10 State-of-the art laboratories including Genetic Engineering, Fermentation Technology, Bioprocess and Computational Biology
• International internship at University of Louisville, KY, USA
• Advanced R&D in areas of Cancer Biology, Recombinant DNA Technology, Drug Discovery and Herbal Product Formulation
• Average 20 research papers published annually in peer-review journals by Faculty and Students
• Consistent 90% placement record in Core Biotechnology companies
• 25 Companies offered jobs to B. Tech (Biotechnology) students with highest package offered of 6 lacs per annum
The students from Biotechnology department are well-placed in different MNC’s and reputed government/non-government organizations. The major recruiter’s are-
Apart from these, our students are also involved in successful start-ups in Biotechnology product manufacturing/supply. To further promote entrepreneurship in the students we have a Ministry of Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) supported incubation centre which provides facilities such as funds, space and technical support to deserving start-up projects from students as well as faculties. Many of our meritorious students have got high scores in GATE/GMAT/GRE exams and are pursuing higher studies in reputed universities/Institutes located in India and abroad.
With each passing year the Biotechnology Department is expanding its wings through outside collaborations (such as ICPO, NCOF, IIT-Roorkee, Delhi University and others), regular guest lectures, industrial visits and trainings.
Following are the main specialization areas of our department-
1. Molecular Biology
3. Genetic Engineering
4. Biochemical Engineering
5. Environmental Biotechnology
6. Plant Biotechnology
7. Animal Biotechnology
8. Microbial Technology